Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Holidays


Figure this out: Last Wednesday to Friday was the Mid-Autumn Festival in China, which means that everything is closed, people watch the full moon and eat these little cakes that taste like hockey pucks.  I wasn’t explained until late Friday that, in fact, Saturday and Sunday were work days in China. Let me explain. The 3 day holiday happened to fall during the week, so in effect, the government gives 3 days off as civic holiday, but as a result,  the following weekend becomes a work weekend. October 1 starts another holiday. It is the celebration of the People’s Liberation Army over the hated Guo Min Tang nationalists, who stole Taiwan after the defeat.  This is an 8 day holiday and guess what? At least one weekend in October (and maybe two, depending on who I ask) become regular work days.  Pretty Standard China for you.

I’ve worked 4 days already.  I’m working at a ‘new media’ art gallery that doubles as an incubator for creativity and business collaborations.  Many interesting people work here and other really cool people pass through everyday.

This morning, as I was in the elevator leaving my apartment, the guy a couple floors down from me was finishing a cigarette as the elevator opens on his floor. He flicks the cigarette down in the hallway on the 17th floor and steps on without looking back. I haven’t been back yet today. I wonder if my building is still there.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. u failed at ur goal before u left...i pray that u haven't had ur last..

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i dunno y its saying im chris

    ReplyDelete